What year 3 are doing in school this term: Spring 2017
Our learning is organised into a combination of subjects and topic. The subjects taught on their own are English Mathematics, Science and Computing.
Topic means that a theme or an idea is used to teach all the other subjects. This means the teachers and children can make links between different ideas and begin to understand the world, how it works and how people live.
Our topics also include work in RE, History and Geography, Personal, Social and Emotional and Cultural development (PSHCE), Music, Art and Design, and PE. This term’s topic will be Grand Designs. Children will explore this through Ancient Greece. We will examine their history, buildings and read some of their myths and legends. The children have already been introduced to this topic and have visited the theatre to explore the medium of drama. In addition to this, we will also be making a trip to The British Museum to explore the Greek galleries and artefacts.
Continuing last year’s theme of Respect, Achievement and Positivity (RAP) we will be looking closer at understanding respect, achievement and positivity for the school, local area and worldwide respect.
Other important facts to know:
- Reading books are changed every
- Try and read with your child for 15 minutes every evening. Once you have read with them, children write a reading comment (justify their comment with literacy language.) Once a week, parent informs how their child is progressing.
- Spelling and number facts will be tested on a Friday. Feedback on the results will be given to your children on the day.
- Homework will be handed out on Wednesday. Children will be given a homework grid whereby they will choose one topic to complete each week. Each Wednesday one activity will be handed in. Spellings and times tables will be handed out every Friday and tested the following Friday.
- Book Bags must be brought to school every day. This allows letters to be sent home without them getting damaged as well as their reading record.
- Children should arrive at 8.55am, ready to enter school at 9.00am. Any children arriving after 9.10am must report and sign in at the office.
We hope you find this information helpful however, should you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact either of us to arrange an appointment in order to discuss your child’s individual needs.
We look forward to working with you to ensure your child achieves their full potential and more importantly enjoys learning at Highbury Quadrant Primary School.
This term we will be doing lots of work around:
- Myths and legends
- Creating plots, characters and settings
- Grammar and Punctuation – Direct Speech and commas
At home read with your child every evening, practise their spellings and discuss stories from your own cultures.
This term we will be:
- Counting in 3s 6s 10s from any number. As well as revising the 2s and 4s
- Telling the time from analogue and digital clocks
- Exploring reasoning skills through problem solving
- Telling time with roman numerals and knowing the length of time to do something etc.
At home practice the 2, 3, 4, 5 and 10 times tables and challenge your child with totalling whilst shopping. Have them tell you the time and discuss how long it takes to do different tasks.
We will be covering Rocks and soils including:
- Examining and recognizing different types of rocks.
- Comparing different types of rocks based on their appearance and physical properties.
- Studying the different types of rocks, the Greeks used to build with
At home talk about rocks and how they are all around us and an important part of daily life. Go on a rock hunt and compare and contrast different types.
This term your child will:
- Explore and examine life in ancient Greece
- Compare similarities and differences between the role of men and women and boys and girls
- Discuss democracy and different inventions, some of which are still used today
At home you can discuss where Greece is, what type of climate it has and what you know about life in Ancient Greece. Examine a map and encourage your child to locate it for you.
This term your child will have weekly computing sessions will involve:
Modelling and Simulation –
- Children understand that simulations can be useful in the wider world
- Recognise that they can make changes in a simulation to achieve a desired outcome. T
- They will use a computer to model their ideas and try out options.
- Designing a 3D building based on Ancient Greece
At home talk cyber-bullying and the importance of staying safe whilst using a computer.
This term we will be exploring:
- Different faiths and the festivals each celebrate.
- We will be discussing children’s mental health.
- Learning the importance of making good choices and what we can do to help us make the right choice
- Strategies to use to help us when feeling worried or sad
Art and Design
- Exploring mosaic art to link to Ancient Greece.
- Your child will be learning the recorder this year. Children must practise their recorders and bring them Tuesday.
- They will be learning conversational Spanish including times and dates.
- Year 3 will have PE on Wednesdays. They MUST have a full PE kit in line with our healthy school policy.
No Results Found
The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.
In year 3 we have been studying Places of Worship. These are some of the models we have made. Click on the image for more.