BNF Healthy Eating Week
Highbury Quadrant will be taking part in BNF Healthy Eating Week – from 19th to 23rd June 2017. Launched by the British Nutrition Foundation in 2013, the aims of the week are to promote healthy eating and drinking, be active, learn about where food comes from and prepare healthy dishes and meals.
There are five different challenges that underpin the Healthy Eating Week: ‘Have Breakfast’, ‘Have 5 a day’, ‘Drink plenty’, ‘Get Active’ and ‘Try something new’.
You can support your child’s learning by using some of the following top tips at home:
Food origins – where does food come from?
- Discover where and how starchy foods grow, e.g. potatoes, wheat.
- Investigate how milk is produced.
- Discuss where different elements of their breakfast come from (e.g. an animal or a plant).
- Visit a farm!
Healthy active lifestyles – The Eatwell Guide, 5 A DAY
- Go for at least 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day.
- Eat fresh, dried, frozen, canned and juiced varieties.
- Be active for at least 60 minutes every day.
- Monitor activity every day – sit less, move more!
- Encourage children to drink 6-8 glasses of fluid a day.
- Eat two portions of fish a week (one of which should be oily fish, e.g. salmon).
Food and drink choice – focus on what we choose and why!
- Create an evening meal from a different country.
- Try new foods – make an exotic fruit salad, a tasty dip or a pasta dish!
- Infuse your water with different types of fruit, vegetables or even herbs.
Food preparation and cooking – let’s all get cooking!
- Investigate different ingredients and equipment – be safe and hygienic.
- Get creative in the kitchen – try cooking a range of dishes!
Let’s have a fantastic Healthy Eating Week!